Home  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Reviews  |  Reference  |  Forum  |  Search

Tamiya's 1/48 scale
Focke-Wulf Ta 183

by Giacomo Mascoli

 

Focke-Wulf Ta 183



HyperScale is proudly supported by Squadron.com

 

Description

 

Here is my 1/48 scale Focke-Wulf Ta 183. This kit was originally released by AMtech but my model was reboxed by Tamiya.

The Ta 183 is a truly excellent kit, in my opinion.

I added few modifications such as brake wires using stretched sprue, some cockpit wiring including some details for the Revi gunsight, and a front air intake, sawed off from the exhaust of a very old hasegawa Phantom (I know that is not correct for the Jumo engine theoretically adopted by the Ta-183, but it look so cool to me………..). The decals came from an Italeri Ta 152 if I remember correctly (the swastika from a Tamiya He-219).

The standing figure is made in white metal and came from Andrea Miniatures. I do not know why but originally I did not liked his expression so I added the mustache using a little bit of epoxy.

  • Tamiya's Ta 183 by Giacomo Mascoli: Image
  • Tamiya's Ta 183 by Giacomo Mascoli: Image
  • Tamiya's Ta 183 by Giacomo Mascoli: Image
  • Tamiya's Ta 183 by Giacomo Mascoli: Image
  • Tamiya's Ta 183 by Giacomo Mascoli: Image
  • Tamiya's Ta 183 by Giacomo Mascoli: Image
  • Tamiya's Ta 183 by Giacomo Mascoli: Image
  • Tamiya's Ta 183 by Giacomo Mascoli: Image
  • Tamiya's Ta 183 by Giacomo Mascoli: Image
  • Tamiya's Ta 183 by Giacomo Mascoli: Image
  • Tamiya's Ta 183 by Giacomo Mascoli: Image
  • Tamiya's Ta 183 by Giacomo Mascoli: Image
  • Tamiya's Ta 183 by Giacomo Mascoli: Image
  • Tamiya's Ta 183 by Giacomo Mascoli: Image
Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading

The diorama base is basically the wooden cover of a box to which I have glued an airfield section from Verlinden, plus I added some grass and little rocks.

I used Tamiya acrylics for everything (including the standing figure, which was previously covered by Tamiya gray primer). I tried to use some post-shading in order to emphasize the tri dimensionality of the subject. After that i applied a wash by Windsor and Newton oil colors.

I concluded with a final coat of Gunze flat clear. The exhaust stain is painted using Model Master enamels (Magnesium and Steel) and weathered with Tamiya transparent blue.

For the first time I used a Badger Crescendo Model 175. It is pretty handy but I believe next time I would like a gravity fed airbrush better, due to the fact that is possible to spray the paint while being more close to the model.


Model, Images and Text Copyright 2008 by Giacomo Mascoli
Page Created 9 January, 2008
Last Updated 9 January, 2008

Back to HyperScale Main Page