Tamiya's 1/48 scale
Fieseler Fi 156 Storch
by Oliver Peissl
Tamiya's 1/48 scale Fi 156 Storch is available online from Squadron
Here is my 1/48 scale Tamiya Fi 156 “Storch” in winter camo from JG 54.
Within the details from the box I also used photo etched parts from Eduard (49404) for interior, (48581) exterior, (48582) the Skis, the sight for the MG 15 from Aires and exhausts from Quickboost.
Instead with the cockpit I began with the engine. This is made up from 15 parts and decals in the box and with wonderfully details. I painted the engine with Model Master Metalcote colours and polished them with graphite powder.
Every interior parts were painted with RLM 02 from Gunze-Sangyo. I expect that the Storch is dirty inside, so I did this with some pigments and a variation of colours.
The interior parts are washed with oils in black and brown to get a strong used effect. I also used some pigments to simulate these effects. After dry brushing I coloured the hand gears switches and buttons in the typical colours.
Fixing of the fuselage was very fine, only little putty had been done on the back of the fuselage. Also the wings got a little putty.
After assembling the strong wire fixing of the main gear get no problems. The guide rail is very good to fix the wings with the fuselage and get the right angle. By ending the fixing from the box I also fixed the exterior Eduard parts on the model.
I like exotic colours so I decide to make a Storch from winter 42/43 in the colours of the Grünherzgeschwader“ JG 54. Also I want to create a kit with skiers.
After preshading the hole model I painted the fuselage and wingtips in RLM04.
Before painting the underside in RLM65 I masked the RLM04 areas and painted above with RLM70/71 to add the decals from EagleCals.
On pics of the SB+UG you can see, that the colours where painted along the markings.
I also tried this with the airbrush.
After drying the colours I tried to rub of the white with a sponge. Some flaps where over painted with the basic colours to get a ruby effect.
Some flaps I washed again with some oil paints to get a realistic effect. The exhausts where handled with some rust colours and pigments.
Finally I assembled the rear gun and gun sight from Aires, the props, pitot pipe, exhausts, door and the wing struts.
Model, Images and Text Copyright ©
2009 by Oliver Peissl
Page Created 16 June, 2009
16 June, 2009
HyperScale Main Page