Tamiya's 1/48 scale
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 D-9
by Andrew Dextras
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 D-9
Tamiya's 1/48 scale Fw 190 D-9 is available online from Squadron
After a 5 years hiatus, I decided it was time to build an aircraft model again and this time chose my personal favourite: the Focke Wulf 190D-9. I used the 1/48 scale Tamiya kit as the basis and added the following:
Eagle Parts #4-48 FW190D-9 detail set (if someone has a spare set of these lying around they'd like to sell please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Eagle Cals #21 Yellow Tails D-9s\20mm cannon tubes from brass tubing
turned brass pitot tube
PE and brass rod antennas
I wanted to build a model of a late war D-9 and had initially settled on "Yellow 11" from the above Eagle Cal sheet. But at the last minute I though the all yellow tail of "Black 10" with its patchy appearance would get me back in the game and provide a tougher challenge.
The model went together fairly quickly and was painted with Gunze acrylics. The upper surfaces consisted of RLM75/83 wings, the infamous "blue-green" for the sides and parts of the underside, along with RLM82/83 greens for the fuselage top and sides. The back of the canopy was left slightly darker as per the one photo I had of Black 10 in the Japo 2 volume set of the D-9. The undersides were painted in the "W3" scheme, so out came the AS-12 spray can for the bare metal, followed by the blue-green, RLM 75 and RLM 76. It makes for a very busy underside area.
Decals were applied and as usual with Eagle Cals, they went on great. Once they had set, I sprayed some RLM 76 on the fuselage sides to obscure the III Gruppe vertical bar that was covered up when this aircraft was transferred from III./JG26 to 2./JG26. I then painted the tail area in a patchy RLM04 yellow, but not before masking the Hakenkreuz (you can see the original colour around it before they painted the tail yellow). The spinner spiral was painted using masks.
Now comes the weathering. This was all done using my Iwata Custom Micron B with my dual diffusion post shade/post fade technique. I then chipped areas of the aircraft with a silver pencil and streaked some black for exhaust staining using the Iwata.
Overall, this was a fun project and a great way to get back into modelling aircraft.
Hmmm....that 1/32 Hasegawa D-9 kit is looking more and more tempting every day.....
Model, Images and Text Copyright ©
2009 by Andrew Dextras
Page Created 13 July, 2009
13 July, 2009
HyperScale Main Page