Monogram's 1/48 scale
by Brian Geiger
Tamiya's 1/48 scale P-51B Mustang is available online from Squadron.com
Remember the days when the two main choices for a Prowler in 1/48 scale was either the Airfix or Monogram offering? Remember later on when those kits were out of production and the only source was the second-hand market? That’s when I came across a great deal on a partially built, painted project.
All the parts seemed to be there so I decided to give it a makeover.
One of the most visible flaws from the original build was the canopy parts. The two forward pieces were actually intertwined. Fortunately, the kit included two sets of clear parts, one tinted and the other clear. I wasn’t able to chisel off the tinted canopies cleanly enough to reuse. Using the second set, I attempted to tint the glass. My trial experiments mixing food coloring and drawing inks into Future Floor Polish resulted in uneven coverage, with more color pooling up in recesses. I compromised by reducing the amount of tint.
I used tape and sand paper to strip off the old decals and smooth out rough spots in the finish.
To my surprise, when I sanded down the rudder, I found a second scheme underneath. I wasn’t the first to refinish this kit. Hopefully, the third time would be the charm.
With the canopies removed, I repainted the interior and added ejection handles and lead foil seat harnesses. I also built overhead consoles.
Once the new glass parts were attached and masked, I filled and sanded all visible seams with Mr. Surfacer. I ran a heavy bead of liquid putty into the nasty seams on the air intakes. I also thinned and shaped the thick air scoops behind the intakes. The blades on the ECM pods benefited from some thinning too.
The red external lights were made with the help of a CMK wingtip accessory set. I added a lens to the front gear door using the method described here. http://www.ipmsboise.org/newsletters/mDogNews2009_11.pdf
I replaced the kit pitot tubes with styrene and metal pins.
The final construction step was to update various antennae, which I carved from sheet styrene.
IThe new paint scheme was accomplished using Alclad metal colors, Humbrol, and Testors Model Master enamels.
I chose the Shadowhawk scheme from the CAM Jamin’ Prowlers decals 48-101 http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/ea6bdecalreviewrk_1.htm.
Thin washes of artist oil paints created stains, scuffs, and grime.
I am sure we’ll be seeing many more Prowlers with the release of Kinetic’s kit. Monetarily, this was a real bargain. It required a little backtracking along the way but I’m happy with the results. It’s good to see an old kit get a second or even third chance.
Model and Text Copyright © 2010 by Brian Geiger
Page Created 21 September, 2010
21 September, 2010
Back to HyperScale