Home  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Reviews  |  Reference  |  Forum  |  Search

Italeri's 1/48 scale
HH-60G Pave Hawk

by Lars Kolweyh

 

HH-60G Pave Hawk

 


Italeri's 1/48 scale HH-60H is available online from Squadron

 

Introduction

 

Here my latest project: an HH-60G in 1/48 scale from Italeri.
 

 

Construction


The basic kit comes from Italeri. The kit was modified considerably. At the beginning, I emphasize that I won’t lose many words on the poor fit of this kit.

 

 

In this model a lot of photo etched parts from Eduard were used, which allowed some more details. Furthermore, there was used a conversion kit from Cobra-Company, which was very helpful.
A lot of parts have been self made. Starting with the interior, where Italeri made just poor details. With profiles and various small parts I made a lot of things new. The bottom, the cockpit and the additional tank have been completed with etched parts and assemblies from Cobra Company. In addition, the interior walls have been redesigned, for example the main gear is, in the original, not visible from the inside. Some avionics parts behind the pilot seats had also created by me.
.
The cockpit doors were given new windows and the small, sliding side doors, I've completely replaced. The included parts in the kit were too thick. The engines I had to revise its form and customize the engine casing.

 

 

Self made are also the six flare- and chaff-dispensers. I built two pieces for a mold and reproduced them with resin.

Clear parts for the navigation lights would be nice, but they were not included in the kit and have also been self made.

 

 

Painting and References

 

The colors I've mainly used are Model Master and Revell colors. To paint the small parts I used products from LifeColor, Vallejo and Andrea. The weathering has been made with oil-colors, chalk and weathering-sets from Tamiya.

So Italeri's decals were just not enough, I bought hopeful decals from Aztec, that also included maintenance labels of all kinds. To my surprise, all the decals, which would have to be black, were printed in gray. So I scanned the sheet and printed it in black on a blank decal sheet. Where I was in the process, I also made new decals for the  IDs. The required writing, I could download from the Internet.

The final model was ultimately based on a picture frame of a swedish furniture manufacturer. I framed a shred of a U.S. Army jacket with airbrush-writing and small printed patches from the 304th Rescue Squadron. I really spent much time on this model, and occasionally was close to madness. But finally, I am still pleased with the result.

 

  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
  • Italeri 1/48 HH-60G by Lars Kolweyh: Image
Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading



Model and Text Copyright 2011 by Lars Kolweyh
Page Created 7 January, 2011
Last Updated 7 January, 2011

Back to HyperScale Main Page