Tamiya 1/350 scale
USS Enterprise CVN-65
by Jorge Evandro
USS Enterprise CVN-65
Eduard's 1/48 Fokker D.VII ProfiPACK is available online from Squadron.com
Considering planning and construction, this project took around 2 years to be finalized (2018).
Mainly used were:
Airplanes: Trumpeter, scale 1/350
Figures: L'arsenal, Eduard, Fujiki and KA Models
Photoetch: Complete set of Gold Medal Model and White Ensign Models for the Enterprise and Aircraft.
Tractors: MRC and Black Dog
Phalanx ciws / Sea Sparrow Launcher: Veteran Models
Decals: Boatswain Models (Enterprise and Air Wings 1982/2012). Some applied in the Hangar made by myself.
The plan was to put up lighting both in the inner hangar and on the island. For the hangar I opted for two rows of led strips, to give better distribution of the lighting. It also influenced the fact that the Leds have a useful life and if one burns it turn off only the sequence of the three LEDs connected in series and without the danger of turning off everything, because with the mounted model it would no longer be able to change them.
The power supply is made by Plug to DC Adapter or Battery ..
I chose to place on one side of the plastic base a switch and an adapter plug. On the other side another set other switch and plug.
The battery is in a compartment between the plastic base of the ship and the base of wood being able to be replaced by an opening part under the wood.
The connection scheme was made so that these two sources of energy work in full harmony no matter if i using Battery or adapter, or both at the same time. This also applies to the switches, no matter which side is controlling the lights.
That way I can control the lights always no matter what side of the ship is being displayed. Depending on the space, I think that manipulating the switches behind the ship can always bring the risk of breaking something.
For illumination of the island I used sections of led strip. But it was more complicated because due to the reduced space I had to make some internal adaptations so as not to expose the led directly but to hide it to obtain a light folded and more distributed.
I Replaced all Kit antennas with aluminum wires. It was much better than the originals.
In the elevators I had the job of removing every part of the floor with great care and patience because I did not want to lose the original shape of the elevators. After executed it replaces the floor with GMM's Photo-etched. In the structure of the elevators I did some more detail.
Another laborious part was to make more realistic lifeline supports based on Enterprise photographs on the internet. I had to make each one in styrene and then take out each boat from the original tamiya kit, take out the edges and then glue them back into the new holder. When I did this there was still no photoetch for this.
Based on photos from the internet, I also built the LSO platform and equipment that did not exist in the original Tamiya kit.
In this project there are a number of other implementations made over the original Tamiya, but I have listed above only the most important ones.
I started with this plastimodelism fixation since I was a kid. At the age of 11 I had already made my first Santa Maria da Revell sailboat, which I have until today. After a while, for various reasons, I stopped for many years, and now retired I have more time to start over in this hobby in which I never ceased to be enthusiastic.
Model, Images and Text Copyright ©
2019 by Jorge Evandro
Page Created 28 February, 2018
28 February, 2019
HyperScale Main Page