Not being any kind of Luftwaffe aficionado, I stuck pretty close to the instructions and the box art for painting.
I sprayed Gunship Grey on the undersurfaces first, then built up a black finish with repeated layers of black lightened with a drop of white. I use Polly-S acrylics, so they dry fast and I can move forward.
I used pastels for the mottling, applied with a micro-brush to ensure accurate placement. I never could get my airbrush to spray consistently enough for this sort of detail work - with pastels, if I screwed up, I could just wipe it off!
I wore surgical gloves to keep my oily paws from leaving fingerprints and sealed the paintjob with first a dusting, then a liberal coat, of Future floor wax.
After decals and another coat of Future I ran thinned grey acrylic paint into the panel lines, and light grey for the underside panel lines. Following a coat of (well-mixed) Polly-S flat, I went back and accented the panel lines with the chalks to weather the aircraft more heavily.
I also took black chalk and scrubbed along the demarcation line between the RLM76 and the black undersides. This softened the line (just a little) and looks more realistic. The final touch was to load my airbrush with some thinned Polly-S flat with a drop of white and CAREFULLY dust the markings along the fuselage and tail. This knocks the decals back a bit and for 1/72nd scale looks really awesome. Even some sad old decals look authentically painted on and weathered!
I finally used the mixture to simulate exhaust stains along the engine nacelles and cannon shell ejector chutes. Light colored pastels disappear once you spray a clear coat back over them. A few touches of light grey along leading edges and panel lines to simulate chipped paint and the project was complete.
Model, Images and Article
Copyright © 1999 by Kyle Williams
Back to HyperScale Main Page
Back to Features Page