Home  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Reviews  |  Reference  |  Forum  |  Search

Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10

by Bernd Willmer
images by Ulrich Schwab

Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-10/R2/R3(?)
Werknumer 770269, Schwarze 12, 2./NAG 14 based at Fuerth, early 1945





I used Revellīs 1/48 scale Bf 109 G-10 kit for this quick project 2 years ago. I made some minor modifications to this kit, e.g. repositioning of the control surfaces. The purpose was mainly to test the Aeromaster acrylics for the first time.



Painting, Finishing and Decalling


After assembly I airbrushed the model with 2 coats of silver from Revell. I let it dry for 2 days before I applied the Farbton 76 to all lower surfaces and to the whole fuselage. Next step was to airbrush the Farbton 75 in the appropriate areas. After the Farbton 75 was dry I masked off the Balkenkreuz on the fuselage sides and filled it with Farbton 83. After a few minutes I removed the masking and finished the camouflage scheme with the Farbton 83


After the camouflage colors dried for about 2 days, I started the weathering process. The first step here was to represent the paint chipping in areas that would've been affected by wear or little dings with a scalpel. Then I used a already worn wet sanding paper of the finest grain (1200) I had and started to remove the top layers of the camouflage colors so either the underlaying camouflage color or the "bare metal" will show through.

Prior to decaling I cleaned the model and then started to apply the decals. I used Microscale Set and Sol to let the decals snuggle down to the modelīs surface. The Balkenkreuze came from Revellīs decal sheet. The swastikas are also from Aeromaster - and they are real treasures when you have them in Germany! The black 12 came from the Aeromaster sheet "48-047 Luftwaffe Fighter Numbers (Part 1)". The unit code "F5" and the Werk-Nummer "770269" are dry transfers from Letra Letters.  

I continued the weathering process by applying an oil wash from matt black & umbre to the recessed panel lines. I let the wash dry for a few hours. I then applied  a second wash of matt black & umbre to the whole model. I darkened the panel lines silghtly by using dark brown pastels. The exhaust stains were applied with my airbrush using a black-brown mixture (typically for the Daimler Benz engines...). The last step were some oil streaking in the engine area.  

Finally I applied a coat of matt clear varnish from Aeromaster.




My primary reference was a color photograph in the book "Messerschmitt Bf 109" by Hans-Juergen Becker. The camouflage is a 75/83/76 scheme with a yellow rudder and a yellow nose band. These marking are typical for early 1945 era. Having this in mind I decided to apply 1/3 white on the otherwise schwarzgruen 70 spinner.

Some time later I had the chance to have a look in "THE OFFICIAL MONOGRAMM PAINTING GUIDE TO GERMAN AIRCRAFT 1935 - 1945". This book also includes a color photograph of "schwarze 12". The authors stated that the camouflage was a standard 74/75/76 scheme. I do not agree with them as the dunkelgruen 83 is clearly visible in the photograph. The authorīs mistake is easy to explain: at the time the book was published they didnīt - and couldnīt - know that Farbton 83 was darkgreen color.





I would like to say thanks to Lynn Ritger for a correction of the text and Brett Green for scanning the photographs and the final preparing of my article.



Additional Images


Click on the thumbnail to view the image full-size. 
Click on your browser's back-arrow to return to this page.



Article and Model Copyright Đ 1999 by Bernd Willmer
Images Copyright Đ 1999 by Ulrich Schwab
Page Created 06 November, 1999
Last updated 26 July, 2007

Back to HyperScale Main Page

Back to Features Page