Home  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Reviews  |  Reference  |  Forum  |  Search

Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9

by Mike Millette

 

Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9

 

 

Background

 

I find the very colorful Fw 190Ds that flew airfield cover for the legendary JV44 to be compelling modeling subjects. When Eagle Editions released their Eagle Files #1, "Doras of the Galland Circus" along with Eagle Cals Decals # 14, I knew it was time to build one.

 

 

General Construction

 

Using the Tamyia kit as a starting point, the kit was constructed similarly to my previous Tamiya 190D-9, Brown 4, the obvious exception being that this kit retains the stock tail. I also opted to use a Hawkeye/Cooper Details cockpit, which I had been unable to find for the previous kit and Eagle Parts #4, upgrade set for the Tamyia kit. It made all the difference in the world.

Engine 

As I did with Brown 4, I used the beautiful Aries Jumo engine. Having made most of my mistakes in the earlier project, this one went in much more easily! 

As I mentioned in the previous article, it was necessary to sand off some of the nose of the crankcase as well as the lower forward portions of the cylinder banks. The engine is also too tall to fit in the "engine compartment". There's nothing wrong with the engine, it's just that Tamiya didn't design the kit to have an engine in there so there is an "overhead" that needs to be removed or the top of the engine needs to be ground off. Xuron shears were used to cut the "floor" out of the gun bay. 

The back sides of the indentations that support the exhausts also needed to be thinned a bit to allow the engine to fit. The engine was built and plumbed as described in the instructions and installed.

Cockpit 

The Hawkeye/Cooper Details resin cockpit is a considerable improvement over the kit assembly. The level of detail is amazing and my poor photography/scanning skills simply do not do it justice.

The cockpit was painted RLM 66 lightened with RLM 02 and then given a wash of Aeromasters Tire Black thinned with mineral spirits. High spots were drybrushed and high wear areas were lightly hit with silver.

Wing and Wheel Well

The wheel well was opened up as the waffled panels used in the Fw 190A series aircraft were not used on the Fw 190D. Furthermore, the Tamyia wing represents the wing from a D-13 with its smoothed over center section, not the D-9 wing inherited from the late A series aircraft. 

I modified this by ordering a replacement lower wing for the Fw 190F-8 from Tamyia. This has the proper leading edge center section. 

The lower cowling for the radial engine was sawed off and the leading edge section was snipped out and used to replace the equivalent section in the D-9 wing. While it didn't line up quite perfectly as I had anticipated, some minor adjusting and light sanding did the trick and in the end it looks pretty good.

Other Bits & Pieces

The canopy was drilled to accept one end of the Fug 16 antenna support and stretched sprue antennas were added. Position lights and gear retraction flags were added as with Brown 4 as well a another set of Moskit exhausts.

 

 

The Eagle Parts upgrade set consists of a spinner and backplate, three prop blades and a hub, larger tires and wheels and a subtly altered upper deck gun cover. With the exception of the gun cover, the difference between the kits parts and the replacement parts is very obvious and makes an incredible difference. The Tamyia kit parts are all significantly under sized! The gun cover differences are more subtle, but it too adds to the improved "look" of the kit. The parts are very well engineered and the fit is excellent.

 

 

Paint and Decals

 

The paint scheme was applied as shown in Jerry Crandalls excellent monograph, "Doras of the Galland Circus". Tom Tullis' excellent artwork gives top bottom, left and right views of this aircraft in full color. It just doesn't get any better than this! The only area where I digressed from the color plates is the light patch on top of the head rest armor support. I have looked at the accompanying photos over and over again and I believe the "light" area to be an optical illusion.

 

 

The large areas of chipped paint on the left rear portion of the canopy were painted silver and then "painted" over with Micro Mask prior to the camoflage being applied. Once the paint scheme was completed, panel lines were lightly weathered using a wash of thinned Burnt Umber followed by the application of Burnt Sienna Prismacolor pencils. I have just started using the pencils and really like the control I am able to maintain. A final coat of Clear Flat was applied and then the paint on the wing roots was "chipped" using the silver pencil.

 

 

References

 

  • Doras of the Galland Circus Copyright 1999 by Jerry Crandall/Illustrated by Tom Tullis

  • Aero Detail #2 Focke-Wulf Fw190D Copyright 1990 by Shigeru Nohara

  • Focke-Wulf Fw190D & Ta152 Copyright 1989 Model Art

  • Fw 190D Walk Around Copyright 1997 by E. Brown Ryle and Malcolm Laing

  • Monogram Close-Up #10, Fw 190 D Copyright 1986 by J. Richard Smith & Eddie J. Creek

  • Focke Wulf Jadfflugzeug, Fw 190 A, Fw 190 "Dora", Ta 152 H Copyright 1998 by Peter Rodeike

 

 

Additional Images

 

Click the thumbnail to view the image full size.
Use the "Back" arrow on your browser to return to this page.

                               


Model, Images and Article Copyright 2000 by Mike Millette
Page Created 30 October, 2000
Last Updated 26 July, 2007

Back to HyperScale Main Page

Back to Features Index