Australian M113A-1 APC
RAAC Vietnam, 1970
This model represents an Australian Army M113A1 as deployed in Vietnam
in 1970. It is based on an actual vehicle - call-sign 20A, chassis-number 134350.
The kit used was a very early Tamiya kit of the M113. It is a very
basic kit which required extensive modifications to convert it to an Australian vehicle.
M o d i f i c a t i o n s
- Armour Bits T50 turret added
- .30 cal MG dismounted and moved to turret roof
- Spotlights added to guns. These were removed from headlight assemblies as on real
- Ammo boxes added to turret sides
- Smoke grenades strung across back of turret
- Commanders personal weapon, an AK47, on turret roof
- Turret lifting-hooks added
- Turret hatch locking-handle and strap scratchbuilt
- Belly armour and mounting bolts added
- Bumps representing trim-vane hinges replaced by accurate scratch-built hinges
- Extended trim-vane and spare wheels added
- Tie-down hooks on front plate made from scrap brass
- Spare tracks either side of trim-vane
- Tent-pole brackets on headlight guards
- Barbed wire and booster cable on front top deck
- Air-intakes covered by mesh
- Headlight wiring and plugs added
- Drivers periscope guards removed and replaced by scratch-built brass guards
- Drivers hatch rotated by 230 as on actual vehicle to clear turret
- External fire extinguisher and guard added to hull top
- Front radio aerial guard shortened
- .50 and .30 ammo racks and ammo boxes added to hull top
- MG traverse guard rail at lower rear of turret
- Australian air-filter box added to top of rear hatch
- Claymore boxes on top of rear right hull
- PSP plating on hull sides
- Sponson reinforcements over front three roadwheels each side
- Aerials and springs added to aerial bases
- Jerrycans and carrying brackets on rear plate
- Rear-ramp hinges replaced by accurate scratchbuilt items
- Air-exhaust pipe to top right rear
- Stops and locking latches added for drivers hatch, rear hatch and rear ramp door
The figures are Tamiya bodies and Verlinden heads.
- Australian Military Equipment Profiles Vol 4: The M113 Armoured Personnel Carriers in
Australian Service 1962 to 1972 Michael K Cecil; Castella 1994
- The M113 Series Simon Dunstan; Osprey 1984
- Vietnam Tracks: Armour in Battle 1945-75 Simon Dunstan; Osprey 1984
- M113 in Action Squadron/Signal Publications
- My collection of over 300 photographs of Australian M113s taken at various museums and
Model and Text Copyright © 1998 by Lindsay Sparkes.
Photographs Copyright © 1998 by Pieter Stroethoff.
Page Created 18 September, 1998.
Last updated 26 July, 2007.
Back to HyperScale Main Page
Back to Features Page