Home  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Reviews  |  Reference  |  Resource Guides  |  Forum  | 

Airfix 1/72 scale
Junkers Ju 87 B-1 Stuka

by Jumpei Temma

Junkers Ju 87 B-1 Stuka

Airfix's 1/72 scale Junkers Ju 87 B-1 Stuka is available online from Squadron for only USD$11.99



Airfix's new tool Stuka is a pretty good kit. I brushed up some minor points to get a sharp and handsome model. One of these points is the canopy. I sanded off convex frames and scratch-built the wind screen.





The cross-section of the rear fuselage was somewhat squarish. Edges of the rear fuselage were sanded. In addition, I brushed-up details. For example, the kit spinner was sharpened (yellow). The port side cowl was cut down (aqua). The starboard cowl edge was narrowed (green). The upper cowl side was sanded to narrow (purple). The leading edge of inner wing was a little sharpened (orange).



The windscreen was made of heat formed clear styrene sheet. The wood mold was made of chemical wood. Other canopy parts were from the kit. Frames were sanded off and engraved. Then they were polished with rubbing compound. The tire position of B-1 model was different from B-2. I cut off the neck of the spat. Then the neck was removed forward. The flap and aileron were connected to the wing with brass rod. The border of flap and aileron was half cut. Then the flap was downed.



The seat harness was from FineMolds' Nano Aviation Series. The mesh of the gunner seat was cut out with knife. Oops, I mistook the position of pilot waist harness. Kit propeller blade was replaced to Airfix's 1/48 P-40B blade which was shortened and sanded to be correct shape.



The overall model surface was peeled off with sand paper and all panel lines were re-engraved with Tamiya 0.15mm (.006") thick photo-etching saw or a needle.

I used Mr.Color lacquer paint. Each color shade was carefully blended. Balkenkreuzes, code letter and shark mouth were masked and painted. Oramask Cutting Sheet was cut with a home use cutting machine. White portion of aircraft number, shark's eye and the fin insignia were custom made dry decals.



Inner frames of the canopy were thin strips of gray cutting sheet. They were stuck on the inside.



Weathering wash was applied with Tamiya Weathering Master with soapy water.





Finally, my shark mouth Stuka of St.G.77, in 1939 - one of the most attractive markings of B-1 model - was finished. These markings were researched by the NG Decals.


  • Airfix 1/72 Ju 87 B-1 Stuka by Jumpei Temma: Image
  • Airfix 1/72 Ju 87 B-1 Stuka by Jumpei Temma: Image
  • Airfix 1/72 Ju 87 B-1 Stuka by Jumpei Temma: Image
  • Airfix 1/72 Ju 87 B-1 Stuka by Jumpei Temma: Image
  • Airfix 1/72 Ju 87 B-1 Stuka by Jumpei Temma: Image
Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading


My detailed article is here: http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/ju87/ju87e.html

Model, Images and Text Copyright © 2018 by Jumpei Temma
Page Created 15 January, 2018
Last Updated 15 January, 2018

Back to HyperScale Main Page